Many OTC dry scalp treatments contain active ingredients that can help control mild dandruff.
• Coal tar (Neutrogena T-Gel)
• Ketoconazole 1% (Nizoral)
• Selenium sulfide (Selsun Blue, Selsun Blue Medicated, Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength)
• Sulfur (Sulfur8 Medicated)
• Zinc pyrithione (Head & Shoulders, Zincon)
But for moderate to severe dandruff, clinicians recommend stronger antifungal medications that can help control more stubborn symptoms and prevent relapse when used regularly.
How do you know where your dandruff is on the spectrum of mild to severe dermatitis?
Mild dandruff: Skin flaking and shedding without inflammation
Moderate to severe dandruff: Skin scaling, inflammation, and itching